History of the S/V Mandalay
Built in 1923 and named Hussar, by Burmeister & Wain in Copenhagen for E. F. Hutton as a gift to his wife.
In 1935 this historic ship was sold to Norwegian shipping magnate G. Unger Vetlesen and his wife Maude Monell and was renamed Vema, a combination of Vetlesen and Maude.
World War II: Maude Monell donated Vema to the American war effort and was put into service as a merchant marine cadet training ship.
Vema was first put to use patrolling coastal waters for the US Coast Guard and later served as a barrack and training ship for the United States Merchant Marine.
In 1953 the Lamont Geological Observatory (now the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory [LDEO]), a research unit of Columbia University leased the vessel and soon bought it, becoming renowned as one of the world’s most productive oceanographic research vessels.
After its career as a research vessel, she entered a new career as a cruising yacht, the S/V Mandalay, accommodating 58 Passengers and about 24 Crew with teak decks and original wood work throughout the ship.